Saturday, March 26, 2016

The Salem Missionary Trials: The Longest Half Week of My Life

Week #1


¡Hola! I am officially a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! After saying goodbye to my family and entering the MTC the fire alarm went off and everyone was running around and pushing and yelling so I only spent a minute in there before being kicked out for about 15 minutes. Not the most fun way to start my mission. Anyway, I finally got back in and was rushed all over (I only got lost once so that's good). I met my first companion and I actually read her blog before I came so that was neat. I already knew her whole story. I am in a triple companionship with Hermana Swapp y Hermana Tracy. We all are different, but we all get along well which is nice. I got to my first class and 95 percent of what is said in class is in Español so I'm super lost. My district is only two companionships. 3  Elders y 3 Hermanas. It's small, but fun. We are all going somewhere in the States speaking Spanish and a couple of them are already real good at speaking so I sometimes get so lost. We had our first lesson in Spanish with an investigator yesterday. Only our 3rd day and it was horrible. I got so lost and didn't understand what my companions were saying. I could do this in English all day, but I guess I need to be pushed. The Elders aren't taking it seriously though and they had a worse lesson (one of them started laughing randomly when Mayra, our investigator, was crying. I think he was just uncomfortable). The investigator was so offended that she told our teacher that she wouldn't meet with the Elders again so they are super upset today. Hopefully we all learn from our mistakes and do better next time. The MTC is amazing! The food is not. I've been sick every day. Whether its because of the food or the stress I don't know. I hope it will get better. I really do love it here. They keep us very busy and that helps us from being homesick. My birthday wasn't the best I've had that's for sure, but I know that I am in the right place. We went to the temple this morning and I lost my ID card (the card that gets me food and into places) and my dorm key and the temple is closed so I can't do some things until I get it back. It's amazing how much Español I have learned already. The gift of tongues is so real. I'm still adjusting and this has been the longest half week of my life, but I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else. I can't wait to be out in the mission field! I love you all and can't wait to hear from you. I don't have anyone's email addresses so send them to me so I can email you!
Love,
Hermana Dickson





No comments:

Post a Comment