Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Merry Christmas

Week # 41

You know you're Hermana Dickson when you try to make friends with a cat sized rat.

Merry Christmas yesterday everyone! I truly hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas. How perfect that it was the Sabbath. We had church with an English ward because most of our branch is gone. Both the Elders and we had investigators that came. We were supposed to have translation, but the branch president forgot his keys so we couldn't get into the office and get the equipment. The meeting consisted of me walking around talking to people in Spanish and reaching across the aisle 15 times to help investigators and members find the right hymns and seats. Even though they didn't understand everything they did feel the spirit and that is what is important. The programs were so wonderful. Lots of music and a couple of speakers. Elder Burke, the senior missionary in our branch, gave a wonderful talk. He was switching back and forth between Spanish and English so that everyone would understand, but he would forget and switch into the wrong one. I understood everything! . . . but not everyone did. It was really cute though and the best part of the meeting. We sang "Mary Did You Know?" in Spanish with Hermana Burke. It's so beautiful in Spanish (well everything is, but I'm a little biased). We got to Skype our families after and then spent the day with Lourdes and some other members. It was a good day. A good Christmas. I was telling my family that this is the best way to spend Christmas, partaking of the Sacrament and being a missionary. It can't get any better.

This week we had exchanges. I went with Sister Bennett. She is amazing (and from St. George). I was in the English area and so it was a little different, but we saw some miracles. We prayed to meet our goals and we met every single one! We also had a good heart to heart (let's be real, that's the real reason we have exchanges). We talked about the work, the area, my companion, me, and Christmas. Exchanges are so needed and inspired. I am so grateful that we have Sister Training Leaders.

We had a little miracle this week. I was really sick halfway through. We both didn't sleep because of it and the next day I just lay on the couch feeling miserable. I had a fever and it was looking like our whole day and night was going to be inside and I was grumpy because of it. It's so hard being sick as a missionary because you just want to be out working, but you can't. I got a blessing that morning, but I was still sick through the whole day. I said a prayer near the end of the day (a grumpy one) and 20 minutes later my fever was gone. We were able to go out and work for the last couple hours of the day and see some more miracles.

We had a missionary Christmas party. We had lunch and a talent show and it was . . . creative . . . I'll just say that there are some "special" talents in this mission. Hermana Hunt and I wrote and sang a little silly song about missionary work to the tune of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?". Everyone loved it. Maybe I'll attach a recording.

This morning we went to a bird marsh wildlife reserve place. It was actually really cool. My companion loves birds. She was so excited about the Bald Eagles, Canadian Geese (they are really loud!), ducks, etc. I was so excited about the water rats :) Really though! They are so ugly! Remember Princess Bride? The big rat thingys? Yup. Not that big, but a good 20 pound rat that swims. Well I'm sure they have another name, but I like "water rat". One got really close and I tried to be his friend, but Hermana Hunt wouldn't let me. I named him Cornelius. We were going through our pictures from the day and Hermana Hunt has a bunch of pretty birds and I have water rats. Yup, same old me. I did like the birds too though.

I think that's about it. I had a good week and a wonderful Christmas. I wish that I had two in my mission.

I love you all,

Hermana Dickson

Zone

"Don't Stop Believin'"

Christmas Day Skype

Happy Christmas Call

Christmas Dinner with Sister Carbine

Christmas Day visit with Lourdes


No comments:

Post a Comment