Saturday, April 30, 2016

Last Week In the MTC

Week #6


You know you're in the MTC when the first thing 400 sister missionaries think of is to kneel on the ground and pray.

It's been another fast week and I feel like I emailed yesterday. We've mostly been focusing on Spanish in our classes. Most of our investigators are done, but we do have one more lesson tonight. Hermana Clausen left this morning and Hermana Swapp leaves Monday so I'm not entirely sure what is going to happen to me.

The fire alarms have gone off three times since I got here. Once, the first day I got here, once, a false alarm on my second week, and Thursday night. I live in the biggest residence hall on campus and there are always so many sister's around, but I never saw them all in one place until Thursday night. The sisters in my Zone were all in my room having a spiritual thought and the fire alarm went off. We went out in the hall and sisters were running all over (some screaming). We made it outside and it was so chaotic. We all got a safe distance away and knelt down and prayed. It was such a powerful experience. 400 sisters kneeling on the cement at 10:30. We sang hymns (The Spirit of God, like a fire is burning) and waited for it to all get figured out. It was just a microwave, but the 3rd floor was full of smoke and all of the windows don't open so we had to stay outside for awhile. Even though nothing was really damaged, it made me think. Some of the sisters were really freaking out/traumatized, but our first instinct was to pray. I don't think that 6 weeks ago that would have been my first thought. 

I've changed so much since I have been here. I can't quite put it into words. There is physical evidence (bruised/calloused knees) and spiritual evidence. My testimony has grown so much. I think of new questions everyday and find the answers in the Book of Mormon and in our lessons with investigators. I feel like I learn more for myself in those lessons than the investigators do. We had In-Field Orientation yesterday and we talked a lot about the purpose as missionaries.

Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.

It's still not quite real to me that I am leaving Wednesday. I don't feel prepared, but I know that there is only so much I can do here to prepare. I need to actually get to Oregon before I can start fufilling my purpose.

We have been super lucky. We were told that Apostles only visit the MTC and give a devotional 4 times a year and we have been blessed enough to be here for 2 of them. Easter with Elder Ballard, and Elder Oaks came on Tuesday. He talked a lot about Preach My Gospel and how it can help us so much on our missions. One quote he shared that really stood out to me was

"Do your best, your very, very best. Say your prayers and work hard and leave the harvest to the Lord."

That is actually a quote from President Hinkley, but I feel like it really applies to me. As long as I am doing my best, I am doing everything that the Lord expects of me. He will do the rest because this is his mission, not mine. I'm not here for a vacation. I'm not here for a break from "real life". I am on a mission to do my father's work.

I love you all,
Hermana Dickson


Last picture of the trio.  
Last visit to the temple.

Hermana Swapp and I at the temple this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment