Saturday, April 9, 2016

The Gift of Tongues, Vocal Point, and Answered Prayers

Week #3


You know you're in the MTC (and still learning a new language) when you accidentally tell your investigator that Jesus Christ is the Father and the Son. . .

Seriously though. This Spanish thing is hard. So much, all day, every day. BUT I'm getting better every day. The gift of tongues is very real. So much has happened this week that I don't know where to start. General Conference was amazing! I hope you all watched at least parts of it. Maybe its because I'm in such an uplifting/spiritual place, but every talk somehow applied to me. You all know how important music is to me so "Come thou Font" was my favorite part :) I just could feel the spirit so strongly. The only thing that was hard about conference was that I was literally sitting and staring at a TV all day. 2 sessions of conference and Women's conference on Saturday and then on Sunday we had the 2 sessions, a devotional, and videos (which are other devotionals that are recorded). The chairs are so uncomfortable! We also had meetings about each session/devotional after each one so lots of sitting. Another cool thing this week is that we had a topping off ceremony for the new MTC building being built and we got to sign the beams.

Speaking of devotionals, Vocal Point came and gave one this week. They sang songs (obviously) and each told stories about their missions. It was a super cool experience. During another devotional this week we had a bat flying around inside the building while the speaker was talking. Everyone was already distracted so the cameras started following it around instead of focusing on the speaker. The MTC is definitely a unique place.

I got to host this week. It's kind of an interesting experience. It's weird to think that I was getting dropped off only 2 and a half weeks ago. I got to bring new sisters in and help them get situated. So many tears! I really loved it though. I think I get to do it again this week. I met a sister going to serve in the St George Temple Visitor Center. She is from France and will be speaking French, but keep a look out for her. It was fun to tell her about St George.

Music, music, music. Even though we aren't allowed to listen to music in our classrooms or dorms, it is still all around me. I am music coordinator and so I am supposed to get someone to play piano for church and set up musical numbers, but I am the only music person. I had to learn some hymns really quickly. I know the Lord is helping me though because I don't have any time to practice and I was able to learn songs quickly. I also auditioned to sing at a devotional soon. We'll see when that happens, but I am super excited. Sister de Souza is playing piano for me and we both find any excuse we can to go play/sing. It is a nice break from Spanish. Sister de Souza is definitely a blessing. I've been struggling with my district and having a friend outside of it is so helpful. I'm so glad I met her. I'm sad that she won't be here much longer, but for now we get to be friends. It's nice to be around someone who loves music as much as I do. She is from Canada and going to Belgium in a couple of weeks. 

I'm running out of time, but thank you so much for the Dear Elders that you sent. I really do love hearing about your lives.
I love you all,
Hermana Dickson


Our cute mission shirts.


Getting ready to host



Our names and missions on the beam of the new MTC building.

This is my new missionary dot. It lets everyone know that you just arrived.
I stuck mine on the back of my name tag with the date I got to the MTC. 

My schedule and my name tag. 


This is the sister going to the St. George Visitor's Center. Sister Royer I think. 



No comments:

Post a Comment